Second World War
The Airfield opened in 1941 and was originally equipped with three grass runways. it was opened as a satellite base to RAF Bircham Newton, the station became independent in 1942, when it was upgraded with concrete runways, perimeter track and hard standings, and there is evidence that is was equipped with FIDO fog dispersal system.
In 1947 the station was placed into care and maintenance, but was reactivated during the Korean war. It was later used as an emergency landing strip for RAF Sculthorpe, before final closure in 1961.
Aircraft that served at the base: FAIREY SWORDFISH, BRISTOL BEAUFIGHTER, VICKERS WELLINGTON, B-17 FLYING FORTRESS, DH MOSQUITO, VAMPIRE FB5 AND FB9.
Squadrons: No 455 RAAF, No 489 RNZAF, No 524 RAF, No 521 RAF.
Information and photos from Simon Thorogood. test